Propertymark is again supporting the national campaign to spread awareness about the importance of gas safety and its member agents have a great deal of responsibility when it comes to ensuring gas appliances are safe. Agents should also prioritise educating landlords on their legal obligations as it is paramount throughout the whole chain and can save lives.
Landlords should ensure:
1: Gas pipework, appliances and flues provided for tenants are maintained in a safe condition
2: All gas appliances and flues provided for tenants’ use have an annual safety check. Tenants can report landlords to the HSE for not providing one
3: A Gas Safety Record is provided to the tenant within 28 days of completing the check or to any new tenant before they move in
4: Keep a copy of the Gas Safety Record until two further checks have taken place
5: Maintenance and annual safety checks are carried out by a qualified Gas Safe registered engineer.
6: 6ll gas equipment (including any appliance left by a previous tenant) is safe or otherwise removed before re-letting.
Poorly maintained gas appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions, and carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.
Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas that has no smell or taste. Breathing it in can make you unwell, and it can kill if you're exposed to high levels, like those emitted from a gas safety leak in a home.
Awareness campaigns such as Gas Safety Week have contributed already to reducing the number of illnesses caused by carbon monoxide poisoning but there is still plenty of more work to be done.
Only a Gas Safe registered engineer to fit, fix and service appliances should be used. You can find and check an engineer at GasSafeRegister.co.uk or by calling 0800 408 5500.
More information on how to stay safe and keep others safe in their homes can be found on the Gas Safety Week website: https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/gassafetyweek/stay-safe/ten-top-tips-to-stay-safe/
Nathan Emerson, (pictured) CEO of Propertymark comments: “We’re proud to support the Gas Safe Register in its campaign again this year. We understand the importance of education when it comes to gas safety and by spreading this vital information, especially to agents and landlords, we can limit the devastating impact that unsafe appliances can have.”