London's housing market accounted for over 10% of all home sales during the last year

Despite the capital's housing market 'underperforming' for the last few years, it is far from quiet and has accounted for more than 1 in 10 of all transactions to have taken place over the last 12 months across England and Wales.

Related topics:  Property,  London,  housing
Property | Reporter
25th January 2024
London
"This level of market activity is all the more impressive when you compare it to other major cities and it’s clear that while house prices are yet to rebound, London remains the engine room of the UK property market"
- Verona Frankish - Yopa

New research from Yopa analysed sold price records from the Land Registry for every property sale to have completed across England and Wales over the last 12 months, before looking at which areas of the market have been busiest both in terms of the price paid for a property and the activity seen across 12 major cities.

The research shows that, over the last 12 months, 472,890 sales have completed across England and Wales.

Homes sold for between £100,000 to £199,999 have accounted for 24% of all property sold over the last 12 months, while those sold between £200,000 to £299,999 account for a quarter of all transactions.

However, perhaps surprisingly, homes sold for £500,000 and above account for the third highest percentage of transactions, with almost one in five (18%) falling into this price category.

This high level of market activity has no doubt been driven by the London market, with savvy buyers taking advantage of discounted property values across the capital.

In fact, the latest UK House Price Index, released last week, shows that while London remains the only region with an average house price of over £500,000, it has also seen the largest reduction in house prices in the last year, down 6%.

But while house prices may be falling, the London market is far from quiet. The analysis by Yopa shows that some 50,728 homes have sold across the capital in the last 12 months, accounting for 11% of total homes sold across England and Wales in this period.

To put this performance into perspective, Bristol and Manchester ranked second of the 12 major cities analysed by Yopa. However, the respective 7,556 (2%) and 7,195 (2%) homes sold across both cities over the last 12 months account for a combined total of just 4% of total homes sold across England and Wales.

Each of the other 12 cities analysed accounted for around 1% of total sales during the same period.

CEO of Yopa, Verona Frankish, commented: “London house prices have fallen at a sharper rate than any other UK region and so you might assume that there is little to no appetite for homes within the capital. However, this simply isn’t the case and more than one in 10 of all homes sold in the last 12 months have been located in London.

"This suggests that while sellers are having to lower their asking price to sell, buyer confidence in the capital remains high.

"This level of market activity is all the more impressive when you compare it to other major cities and it’s clear that while house prices are yet to rebound, London remains the engine room of the UK property market.”

More like this
Latest from Financial Reporter
Latest from Protection Reporter
CLOSE
Subscribe
to our newsletter

Join a community of over 20,000 landlords and property specialists and keep up-to-date with industry news and upcoming events via our newsletter.