Housebuilder, Redrow, has announced that following the closure of its sites on March 27, it was now “satisfied” it could comply with the government’s stipulation that social distancing measures must be practised on construction sites, with ministers keen for sites to continue operating.
The housebuilder intends to begin mobilising sites during the week beginning May 11, with a phased return to construction from May 18.
Before sites reopen it plans to instil “robust social distancing protocols and physical measures”, including Covid supervisors for each site, enhanced signage and PPE, an e-learning module for staff and induction videos for contractors.
And to ensure materials supply, Redrow said it had been speaking with suppliers to understand their production plans, also liaising with subcontractors.
Due to the UK lockdown, Redrow’s net reservations “have been running at very low levels”. The company said that more normal conditions would only return if the government relaxed its home moving advice.
Springfield closed its functions including its kit factory on March 24, with staff working from home “wherever possible". The Scottish government has banned all but essential construction work.
The company has agreed an additional £18 million 12-month term loan facility, which increases its total credit facility to £85 million.
Springfield said this addition would grant it “sufficient headroom, should it be necessary, to withstand even the most unlikely event of a 12-month shutdown”.
More than 90% of Springfield’s workforce has been furloughed under the UK government’s Job Retention Scheme.
Executive and non-executive directors have taken a 50% cut in base salary until further notice “and at least until sales recommence”, with all senior managers who are still working agreeing to a 20% reduction.